I've heard it, I've said it and it took me until just now to really understand the possibilities and opportunities it offers for my business. I am a list driven person you will find if you didn't already know, so here is a list of the misunderstandings and benefits to Twitter.
1. Why do I need Twitter when I already have Facebook?
Well the whole function and purpose of the two are very different. Facebook allows you to post novels where Twitter limits you to 140 characters. Sometimes you want novels..sometimes a quick short post.
A. Facebook is primarily friends, family, maybe business or other group pages where you see pictures, people can sell things and we hear about how the people we know are doing. Twitter is where you can follow magazines, newspapers, news stations, etc. Of
course mine is primarily comprised of makeup companies, fashion and hair magazines, Youtube guru's, and of course some related celebrities. I can't help myself.
B. When you post on Facebook only the people you want to see it do, Twitter the entire world can see it if they stumble upon it. Yes. So keep that in mind when posting about your Aunt Edna's flop of a rhubarb pie.
C. With the limitation of 140 characters on Twitter it is more like a place to post links
to your other sites like instagram, blogs, youtube and even facebook. As a reader this is amazing because I have a quick 140 characters to decide if I want to go further.
D. There are other differences and of course some similarities but I find myself using them for completely different things.
2. What can I really find out in 140 characters?
Let's see... today I have learned that Wet and Wild is having a giveaway, that Sephora has a free Bumble and Bumble product when you spend $25 dollars, and links to at least 15 different makeup look pictures or tutorials. This may not seem relevant to you but staying up on fashion and beauty is whats important to me and my clients so I can pass this on to them. It took me 5 minutes to catch a glimpse of these and then obviously more time if I want to click on them. It's sort of like eavesdropping and then deciding if you want to listen into the conversation more.
3. Twitter has become more like a real time search than google. On google you have to wait for a news report to write about an event that has just happened or someone to update wikipedia. When the Skagit River bridge in WA collapsed there were everyday people who saw the event able to immediately post this on Twitter. It could have taken the fire and rescue team longer to get there than someone could have tweeted it. Twitter also shows you things that are popular, aka "trending" at the moment, even doing it by your local area. This is one of those things I didn't realize the value add of.
4. For people who this is important to, there are many celebrities and famous people on Twitter that post things. It's being a little closer to those people you idolize. I could lie and say I don't enjoy this but once in awhile it is escapism and I would guess a little more accurate than US magazine. Now of course some of them have people who post for them but I know for a fact that many do it on their own.
5. Apps like Instagram, blogs and websites will cross post to Twitter so you don't even have to post on both which makes things easier. When I publish this blog it will share it to Twitter as well!
6. Now for an everyday person who is not interested in getting your name out Twitter might not be so important for that reason. For someone like me who is building my business and trying to work towards a dream of mine it is a highly effective tool. It is my dream to do hair and makeup for movies, magazines and photoshoots. I have been doing many more photoshoots but it is important to get my name out there to help me get further in this. I did a little happy dance today when I woke up to see a cosmetic company had started following me, not a little local one but a high end one called Illamasqua. For me this means that if I post something like a makeup look they could potentially see it. Yea that could be pretty awesome. I could give you some great example of how this could work for you but I am still selfishly star struck to think of one.
7. What the hell are all the @ and # and RT's for!?!? This one drove me crazy and I asked it all the time! When you type @name (insert any company or person name you are trying to "talk" too i.e @jessicadsoper) and this alerts them and they will see you were talking about them. It is like tagging someone on facebook but you can call out anyone who has a Twitter account. It's like writing a celebrity personally! # makes anything you follow it with searchable on Twitter. So if you were to add into your Tweet #jessicadsoper #makeup #sugarpillmakeup #glittergirlc if someone searches for this your posts could come up. This adds even more visibility into your tweets and what you think. RT simply means Retweet, the equivalent to sharing or giving credit to the source you got the tweet from. Twitter also has a button that allows you to just Retweet without putting RT but as far as I have been able to find you cannot then comment on it.
So I am sure Twitter can and does do so many more things than what this blog post has called out. PLEASE if you know of other things it does, comment so I can also learn because I am all about knowledge. Now I didn't just figure all of this out on my own. The friend and client who referred me, Angie Lokotz https://twitter.com/angielokotz , http://angielokotz.com was the first one to really open my eyes to the possibilities. Follow her because she has some great tweets and retweets. She was also chosen as one of the groundbreaking Beta Google Glasses users, so you know she's awesome by others standards too. She is also helping me work on a book project through Amazon...I only like to put myself into a few projects at a time. ;)
I also found a free ebook through my local library or you can buy it off amazon called Dominate your market with Twitter. http://www.amazon.com/Jon-Smith/e/B001K8U4IE/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1 I am not even done with it but have been so busy using Twitter I haven't gotten a chance to go back to it. It is more like a beginners guide to Twitter and not an in depth strategic guide but it helped a newbie like me.
I want to thank you for taking your time to read my post and I am hoping you've taken something useful away. Of course I would love and appreciate it if you would share this on Facebook and Twitter! In our day and age of so many choices it is important to get your name out there and I firmly believe in cross marketing and helping each other get ahead in this sometime impersonal world.
Thank you again,
One of my two year old's still pondering his application of this Twitter thing.
Tomorrow is officially my last day at the old salon and Saturday June 1st will be my first day at the new salon. No there is no breathing here people or dipping your feet in the pool. I'm having too much fun to take that time! I've got almost everything packed, got my keys for the new place and my nerves are on edge but so excited.
I will miss my old location because it is where I started my business back up full time but now it is definitely time to move on up as they say to the big girl salon.
Another bonus that I will be able to offer my clients is the ability to provide more product choices. The salon sells the amazing Pureology and Big Sexy Hair lines....among a few others you will have to come in and see,
I can't wait to see you all over there! Be sure to follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Beautylish and I am sure if you google there are a few more. ;) I will be adding some pictures of the shop and area surrounding once I get settled!
OK maybe this isn't exactly the look you are thinking about for prom but you have to admit it made you do a double take. The thing I love about styles for prom is they range in so many directions from very intricate, to loose and bohemian and then all the way to this. I love this above for the sheer craft of it...that's some work to get it that big and to be stable.
Specialty styles are one of my favorite services to perform because some offer a challenge and they are walking art when they are done. A great upgrade to these styles is a quick addition of a streak or two of some candy color that is then integrated into the style really showcasing the movement. Of course then having your makeup done after is a must! I love the smokey eye in the picture above but you could also make a statement and do a vibrant colored smokey eye. Bright vibrant colors are becoming so more mainstream that if done right there is less fear of looking like Mimi from the Drew Carey show. (Google if you are too young to remember that show...it's worth the look!)
For some great ideas to bring with you to your appointment visit this girls website; she's captured many images of her work and it is amazing. You can find her on Pinterest too! This one below is my current favorite. I think some pastel pink or teal would look fabulous woven into that braid!
Prom and wedding season is one of my all time favorites and I will be booking early and fast so I would be honored to have you fill one of those spots! Please take a trip over to my scheduling page or click the link below and book now. If you have a large party please call, email or Facebook me and we can talk about an onsite event.
*The pictures used above were taken off the internet and the work was not done by me. I tried to give credit where I could whether by leaving the watermark on the picture or giving the link to the website I got it from. Taking images from the internet and calling them your own is a prominent problem and I work very hard to not be a part of it. This is art!
Welcome to you and to me. This is the beginning of a hopefully useful and fun place to come for tips and tricklets for your hair, makeup and anything else I feel like pushing on you. ;) Isn't that sort of what blogs are about? I am here spiffying up the site trying to get it ready to announce on my facebook and twitter. I want everything to be up and ready for when I make my big move/relaunch over to Willow Salon and Spa. Right now I am in a cute little shop in the Proctor district and will definitely miss it there. I am so excited to start working with more stylists, to have the opportunity for ongoing education and a pretty fabulous looking salon! Well that is it for now I must continue on my website building adventure...next up is user testing so you don't all end up in internet limbo. A random picture for the end of your day.
It is officially grilling season you know!
what's this for?
I find so many things I love out on The Internet and I want a place to share it. Trends, tips, and hopefully some fun stuff too!